July 14, 2024

Distraction

I have spent the last several months thinking of ways to best utilize the space within our new wall tent purchased this year. (There's a story behind that, but best discussed elsewhere.) I've had a tent with a similar foot print before, but in speaking with any number of wall tent inhabitants, one of the frequent points brought up was lack of privacy when the doors are for ventilation.

I hatched an idea about a privacy screen... but not just any privacy screen. The one that took the most time! In June, Ginevra and I traveled to the far off lands and visited Drachenwald embassy in Middle Marches (IKEA) to barter for supplies, namely three IVAR side units and later I sourced the hardware at the local Menards. A few years ago, I picked up this lovely printed cotton that had aged to perfection in someone else's stash and backed it with fustian, bound the edges with a cotton twill tape to complete the project.

Overall, the screen took about ten hours, not including dry time for the enamel paint on the wood pieces, casually intermixed with other household tasks.


The completed screen.
A lady hawking.
The lord lurking.